Monday, October 22, 2012

Blog Post #9

Mr. McClung's Blogs

When reading Mr. McClung’s blog, it really made me think about who I want to be a teacher and who I don’t want to be. Mr. McClung says that one thing that he struggled with was trying to define himself as a teacher. Not by how the students see him but how his peers and fellow workers see him as a educator. When I read this part of the blog I said to myself “How do I want my peers to see me as an educator.” I started reading deeper into the blog and Mr. McClung decided to not worry about what his peers thought as long as the kids are taken care of and are having fun while learning. As for myself I do care to a certain degree about how my peers view me but a lot like Mr. McClung I will stick to what has gotten me this far . I will keep working hard and use skills and use concepts in class that will give my peers, students, and my superiors no reason to dislike me as a person or as an educator. I found this video on You Tube that has some great tips on the characteristics of a great teacher.

At The Teachers Desk

I also read Mr. McClung’s blog post form June 23, 2011 One of the things that really stuck out to me is when he said that we should not get wrapped up in pleasing individuals weather this is our superiors, peers, or our kid. Mr. McClung said” we should remember the reason we got into this profession and that our decision making process should be student centered and not centered on pleasing adults.” I find this to be very important because students are the main focus of our job not their parent or fellow teachers. I am not saying that you should just ignore everything that other teachers or administrators say to you but don’t stray from who you are. This brings me to probably one my favorite things I have read for this assignment and it is summed up in one short statement. Don’t be afraid to be a outsider. I know you are probably like why in the heck would I want to be an outsider? But Mr. McClung will change the way you feel about being an outsider. Along the same lines of staying true to yourself and not fallowing the crowd then you cannot be afraid to be an outsider. A lot like Mr. McClung I don’t care if I am an outsider and I have never really cared or tried to excel in social situations but have given most of my focus to school, sports, family, and most of all God. When I Become a teacher I Will be adding my students to this list because I want to stay connected to my students so that I am more than Just a teacher I want to be a person that they can count on for more than just homework problems. I really enjoyed this assignment it really made me think about what type of teacher I want to be.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Micah, after reading your post I like how you summarized the main ideas of the post and some what gave your view of the situation. One problem with you post is that you are missing some commas. You also have a few capitalized words in the middle of your sentences. I think that if you proof read your writing you could correct all these simple mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Don’t be afraid to be a outsider." an, not a

    "When I Become a teacher I Will be adding my students to this list because I want to stay connected to my students so that I am more than Just..." Why all the excess capitals: Become, Will, Just?

    ReplyDelete